Tuesday, December 18, 2012

From Stitching to Stamping: DIY Gift Wrap

I'm one of those people that thinks that the outside of the package is just as (if not more) important than what's on the inside. --that sounded really shallow, but I'm about to show you what I mean-- Emily and I delight in a perfect package. Having worked at Paper Source for several years, we learned the art of a seamless package with perfect bows. After leaving there, we put our own spin on it. My signature wrap is paper stitched together (no tape) with some baker's twine. However, when I caught a glimpse of Kristy Hogue's perfectly stitched packages on Instagram, I rethought my technique (and my sewing machine!)

Kristy used decorative stitches to embellish craft paper, plus the Owl in a Tree Stamp she got at Assemble! I love how polished they look. Here's a few practice stitches she made before the project, and then the finished results:



Photos via Kristy's Creativequality Instagram PLUS Owl in a Tree Stamp, $13

I got all excited about different kinds of wrap, and started clicking around and finding some other creative pieces. Check out these free printable Cross Stitch wrapping papers from Minie Co. that you can print at home or at a local print shop. Download them here.
downloadable printable wrapping paper in cross-stitch and gray from minie co

Another crisp and clean white look, with holiday crosswords you can customize yourself, from Italian designers Fabio Milito and Francesca Guidotti.

Photo via Fabio Milito and Francesca Guidotti

Another beauty, stamped & stitched vintage paper wrap, via Freshly Found:

Photo via Freshly Found

And if you're not into the whole paper thing, try making an artful package with twine! I love this simple red box with lots of bright, cream cotton string and a sweet, cross-stitched gift tag, from Erinzam.

Photo via Erinzam



Love it! Let's go wrap presents!


Blogging tips