Friday, December 7, 2012

Favorite Friend Friday: Molly Gaines of Vivi Dot

We're excited to introduce today's Favorite Friend, because this weekend we will be hosting an event for her at Assemble! This Saturday the 8th of December (that's tomorrow!) Molly Gaines will be here with items from her awesome line of jewelry and accessories, Vivi Dot, from 5-8pm for a special designer showcase. We'll have treats, wine, and lots of happy holiday music. Molly's designs convey an element of whimsy, with a dash of vintage style, and are great choices for gifting (me, please!). Emily and I ended up oohing and ahhing over everything she brought into the shop, and we're pretty sure you will too. Save us from spending all of our own money and come by!

molly gaines of vivi dot

Tell us a little bit about Vivi Dot.
I bought a button maker back in 2006 and began making earrings, magnets and pin back buttons with comic books, origami paper and scraps of fabric. Before long I decided I'd try my hand at a craft fair and Vivi Dot was born. It is named after my Grandmothers, my maternal grandmother Vivi and my paternal grandmother Dot.

You design your own fabrics for a lot of your designs. Tell us about that process!
I used to scour fabric shops for anything that would fit onto a 1-inch button. Now thanks to places like Spoonflower that make it easy to design your own fabric, I am no longer limited to what other people design. I love using the 1-inch circular shape as part of the design like I did with the Peppermint print and the Coquette Girls design. I also love to connect multiple buttons together to create an image like the Giraffes and the Bikes. I create new patterns and prints twice a year and debut them at the POOL Trade Show where buyers come to scout new lines to carry in their boutiques and online shops.

vividot favorite items

What are the pros and cons of working for yourself?
This one is tricky because I do work for myself as far as Vivi Dot goes, but I also still juggle a full time 'day job' and teach dance two nights a week as well. I like being busy so I'm used to the constant need for more hours in the day, but having very little free time can be a con. I can't think of a bigger pro than loving what you do. Making things that people want to spend their hard earned money on is pretty awesome.

Do you have any projects coming up in the future that you're excited about?

I just started hand painting gold accents on vibrant solid colored dots. They're festive, fancy, and perfect for New Year's Eve. I'll have them at the showcase and online as soon as possible too. I'm also redesigning my website so I'm antsy to get that done and live as well.

Do you have any new designs that you are particularly excited about?
I am super excited about how the Fancy Flower Hair Pins turned out. I really wanted to create a fun gift item that was more than just a hair clip that can be hidden away in a drawer somewhere. You can brighten up your hairdo and then keep it out on your dresser or vanity in between wears.

fancy flower hairpin by vivi dot

What do you like to do in your off-time?

My husband and I love to cook. We remodeled our kitchen this summer so now we have an amazing space that we designed ourselves to cook everything we love. I love dancing too. I teach tap and hip hop classes and take a jazz class weekly as well.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
I haven't really been back in Seattle long enough to want to be somewhere else. I grew up here and I'm back again after living in San Francisco for eight years. I don't think I'd move anywhere if I could, I'd just like to have all of my closest friends move here instead.

If you could eat at only one local restaurant for the rest of your life, what would it be?
My husband and I stopped eating meat over the summer so we've been on the hunt for the best veggie burger in town. Because of that I'd have to say Blue Star Cafe. They have a great black bean burger that can be dressed up in a bun different ways. They're menu is like a book too so there would be a ton of variety to choose from for the rest of my days.

What's your dream job, besides what you are doing now?
My dream job would really just be to ditch my day job in Marketing and run Vivi Dot full time while teaching more dance classes. If I won the lottery I'd still teach dance and run Vivi Dot, I'd just do it in fancier clothes. If I have to pick something completely different than I'd choose to design elaborate store window displays.

If you could have one famous person wear a piece of your jewelry, who would it be?
Hmmm...I'd want it to be someone with some indie credibility, but also someone really popular so I can stretch that priceless publicity as far as possible. I can totally see Solange rocking a Psychedelic Fleurs Necklace or Zooey Deschanel sporting a triple floral necklace. Whoops that's two!

Blogging tips