1. 1 bag of Penne or Pennetta white pasta
2. 1 small container of low-fat feta
3. 1 small crate of grape tomatoes or 3 large tomatoes
4. 1/2 red onion
5. 2 dashes Tobasco or hot sauce
6. 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
7. 1/3 cup olive oil
8. 1 teaspoon salt (pepper to taste)
9. Several leaves of fresh basil or about 1.5 tablespoons dry crushed basil
Ronda is my mom--and she is quite the amazing chef. This was always my favorite dish that she made, and is now my husband's favorite. Seattle had its first few extra sunny & warm days last weekend, which led him to ask for his favorite spring/summer meal. Enjoy!
Fully cook and shock the pasta with cold water, then put in a large bowl to the side. Slice the grape or cherry tomatoes in half, then chop the red onion into small, bits.
To make the dressing, combine the oil, vinegar, salt, hot sauce and pepper into a bowl. Whisk until completely blended.
In the large bowl with the pasta, combine the onion, tomatoes, basil and feta. Stir together, then drizzle the dressing over the salad, while stirring.
There you have it! Serve warm with sea salt and a glass of crisp Prosecco for an authentic Italian lunch!