Friday, March 22, 2013

Dyeing Easter Eggs Naturally with Onion Skins

naturally dyed easter eggs with onion skins

It has been a VERY long time since I've dyed Easter eggs. Probably about fifteen years. However, I have always loved the look of the blood-red Easter eggs that are traditional in the Greek culture. I know they use special dyes for their eggs, but I had heard about an interesting method for using yellow onion skins that I thought would be easy to try. They didn't come out as red as the dye would have made them, more of a dark reddish-brown, but I'm still impressed with the outcome. Check out the process below, plus an awesome tip involving pantyhose to make natural imprints on the shells.

Ingredients
:
• Yellow onion skins (skins from about 10-15 onions, depending on how many eggs you are making)
• White cage-free, organic eggs
• a few dashes of salt (to prevent shell breakage)
• 1 tablespoon of vinegar (to prevent egg seepage)
• regular old pantyhose
• some flora of your choice--make sure none of it is poisonous. (I used cherry blossoms and ferns).

naturally dyed easter eggs with onion skins

Cut about four inch sections of the pantyhose (enough to wrap around an egg and make a knot).

naturally dyed easter eggs with onion skins

Place whatever you would like to imprint (in my case, a mini fern) over the egg to your liking.

naturally dyed easter eggs with onion skins

Gently wrap the pantyhose over the fern and pull tight to keep it in place and allow dye to soak through. Tie a secure knot in the back.

naturally dyed easter eggs with onion skins

After you are finished positioning your imprints of all of your eggs, place them in a stew pot on top of the onion skins. I left a few uncovered to be able to see the color change accurately, as well as to have some simple ones. Fill the pot with water just enough to cover the eggs, and place the burner on high.

naturally dyed easter eggs with onion skins
naturally dyed easter eggs with onion skins

After the water reaches a rapid boil, decrease the heat to medium and boil for about 12-15 minutes. Check the color at 12 minutes and if it is to your liking, remove the eggs and place them in a colander. Turn cool water on over them and gently remove the pantyhose.

naturally dyed easter eggs with onion skins

You're done! Happy Easter!

naturally dyed easter eggs with onion skins

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hey Lisette! Yeah, it was pretty fun!..but now what do do with all the onions :/ Perhaps that will be our next post. -a

      Delete
    2. Chop and freeze for later use, only one teary session for the next couple of months!

      Delete
  2. Amazing colour!
    Only from onion skins....
    I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might want to change your flora and fauna text, "fauna" means animals - I'm pretty sure you are not dyeing your eggs with impressions from animals! The eggs look great - will give it a try this Easter I think :)
    Nice idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha I just forgot to take a picture of the deer I tried to impress on an egg. ;)

      Delete
  4. This is a Romanian tradition! We do it every year. And for a glossy finish to your eggs, rub them with a piece of fat-back or bacon while they are still warm. Paste Fericite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wish I'd seen this earlier... made onion soup a la Julia Child but ran the skins down the garbage eater!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE THIS! Can't wait to try it..! Onions..hmm....I think I have some soup recipes that take a good amount of onion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Those are the prettiest Easter eggs I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My friend from Azerbijan makes these every year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial! May I please share one of your pictures in my upcoming blog post collecting my favourite Easter crafts? I will of course credit it back to this post.
    Sincerely
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can also get a razor blade and scratch designs or names onto the egg after they are boiled in the onion skins.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these eggs! My mom showed me how to make these when I was a kid. Her German grandmother showed her when she was a kid. Even after all the years of regular dyed eggs, I remember these the most. I even made a video tutorial showing how I did them this year. http://youtu.be/gtbPDJaPFBM

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen posts showing how to dye eggs with other food ingredients, such as beets. I wonder if this technique would work with those as well?

    ReplyDelete
  13. We use this method in Poland. My grandma does them every year. She paints patterns on the eggs using beeswax and then boils them in onion skins. Wax melts away, but the colour won't catch in those places, so you are left with lovely patterned eggs. She uses butter to make them glossy, rather than bacon skin, but anything greasy will do.
    Happy egg painting and Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK, I love this idea. However I also love perfectly cooked eggs with no green in the yolk, and I think if you boil them for as long as you say here, there will be green. The way I've always cooked them to avoid the green is to take them off the heat as soon as they boil and let them sit in the hot water (covered) for about 15 minutes, but I wonder would you get as much colour out of the onion skins that way?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Next time try to put the onion skins directly on the egg not in the water. That is how we do it in Estonia. The skins leave a pretty pattern on the eggs. If you want you could put a leaf or a flower or some red yarn under the onion skins, but it is not really needed. The onion skins leave a lovely pattern on their one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh... and if you don't want the yolk to turn green put the egg in onion skins (you can make the skins a bit wet to make them stick to the egg) and then cover with some rags instead of nylons, and secure the rag-egg with some yarn. The rags should protect the egg yolk from turning green. Boil as long as the water changes its color to "ugly brownish".

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful and creative idea! I hope to try it tonight :)

    I mentioned your article in a post in my blog, in case you want to check it out: Danehli.wordpress.com

    Have a nice easter!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! absolutely beautiful eggs! Thank for sharing the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips