It's National Cherry Pie Day! We wanted to re-share our favorite Cherry Pie recipe for the occasion. Yum, yum!!
Andie's Baked Cherry Cream Pie
• 2 homemade -or- store-bought pie crusts of your choice
• 2 cans of cherry pie filling -or- 2 lbs of pitted cherries
• 1/4 cup of sugar if using filling, 3/4 cup sugar if using fresh cherries
• 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 1 cup heavy -or- whipping cream
• 3 egg yolks (save the whites)
- Heat the oven to 450° (or degree pertaining to your specific pie crust recipe).
- Line the bottom of a 9 inch pie pan with one sheet of pie crust, and lay a sheet parchment paper in the bottom, on top of the crust. Use pie weights or rice to weigh the crust down, and pre-bake for about 10-15 minutes.
To make the filling:
- If you are using fresh, pitted cherries, cut them in half and put them in a medium saucepan with about 1/4 cup water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the cherries are steamed well, about ten minutes. Remove the heat and mash them into a lumpy, puree. Add the sugar, cinnamon and salt, and stir to mix well. Place in a cool bowl.
- If you are using cherry pie filling, put the filling into a colander and shake over the sink, to get as much of that oozey (and delicious) liquid out. Do this for about five-ten minutes. Once complete, put the filling into a large mixing bowl, and add the sugar, cinnamon and salt, and stir to mix well. (Remember you will be using less sugar with the store-bought filling).
- In another bowl, combine the cream and egg yolks and stir with a whisk or fork to combine.
- Add this mixture to your pie filling, and mix until blended.
- Pour the filling into your pre-baked pie crust (you may have a bit left over, just put that to the side for ice cream toppings!)
- Place your second crust over the top, crimp edges together and decorate as you wish.
- Use the remaining egg whites and brush over the top of the crust, until shiny. This will give you a golden brown finish.
- Bake the pie for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Cool on a rack or tea towel and serve!
mmmm. Eat itttt!