Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Do As the Scots Do: the Perfect Hot Toddy Recipe

...The lads an’ lasses, blythely bent
To mind baith saul an’ body,
Sit round the table, weel content,
An’ steer about the toddy...
-R. Burns

The first description of a hot toddy comes from this poem, "Holy Fair" by Scottish poet, Robert Burns in 1785. OF COURSE the Scots would have a part in creating such a delectable drink, and I'm glad to know that my taste for it genuinely runs deep as my roots. Quite a few of my sweet, close friends have been feeling sicky lately, and it got me wanting to share my favorite remedy for the cold (common and temperature)!

recipe for the perfect hot toddy cocktail

Click for the recipe below!


I think this drink is definitely my bartender specialty (my only one, actually). Please enjoy my recipe below, and feel free to give me your own tips!

Ingredients:
• 1 cup of hot water
• 2 teaspoons lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1 teabag of your choice. British Breakfast is usually my favorite, but this time, I used Pumpkin Spice Rooibos from Trader Joes.
• 1 oz (about a shot glass) of Bourbon Whiskey. I used Bulleit Bourbon Frontier Whiskey
• a couple of cloves

ingredients to the perfect hot toddy
Cafe Mug & Tea Bag Rest: Crate & Barrel // Lollipop Rest: LAS Designs

Make the hot tea first, and let it steep for about three minutes. I usually add the cloves right now too. After the tea has finished steeping, remove the tea bag and the cloves, then add your lemon and honey. Last step: add your whiskey. Voila! Warm, loveliness. 21+ only please! Feel very free to do as I did and trim this treat with a slice of pumpkin bread and some butter.




Blogging tips